httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: 200 OK for an OPTIONS on a nonexistent URI?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:40:30 GMT
>Curiously enough, it was during some DAV testing that I encountered
>this.  Is a 404 correct/appropriate/inappropriate in this
>situation?  It sounds as though the response code is entirely
>up to the server's discretion..

In HTTP, the response code is always up to the server's discretion.
404 is sometimes used to hide the presence of a resource that a user
simply has no right to access.

It really depends on what you are trying to say to the client. If you
want to tell the client about the options for that resource, then 200
is the right response even if the resource does not currently map to
a set of representations (what HTTP means by resource-not-found).

....Roy