httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: pr#4118: MSIE 4.0 screws up with Vary
Date Tue, 20 Apr 1999 23:18:24 GMT
>http://bugs.apache.org/index/full/4118
>
>MSIE 4.0 messes up when it receives a Vary header.
>
>My opinion is that we just shouldn't bother constructing Vary.  We don't
>get it right, and nobody else does it -- so I can't imagine anyone
>actually implementing it properly in a proxy or client.  But maybe I'm
>just a pessimist.

If I changed the protocol every time Microsoft or Netscape screwed-up
an implementation, the Web would have collapsed a long time ago.  The
only thing that needs to be changed is mod_rewrite (for pr 4117).
It needs to split VARY_KEY_THIS into separate values before merging
them with VARY_KEY (well, either that or table_merge is broken).
Also, it should never send "Host" within Vary, since that field is
already part of the known variance.

....Roy