httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: VOTE: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)
Date Tue, 20 Apr 1999 06:19:04 GMT
>Question I: Should the next non-point release of Apache be based on the
>hybrid "apache-apr" prototype?

Hmmm, I am confused.  There exists a pthreads version of Apache in
apache-apr and a totally separate (and unused) APR prototype that is
in the very beginning stages of development (minimum 6 months before
it will be portable).

I thought one of the goals of this was to make the Win32 version of
Apache actually usable -- abstract the system calls and thread management
so that it was optimal for each platform, rather than a quick hack that
depended on Microsoft's crappy implementation of Unix system calls.
I don't want to sound like a whiner, but the pthreads version sure as heck
isn't going in that direction.

Now that we have thrown out all the interesting protocol needs for 2.0,
what exactly are the goals of this new version?  Is it just a compile-time
selectable process model on Unix?

BTW, the pthreads version can be compiled on Solaris now (with warnings),
but I suspect that multithread.h is bogus.  I can't be sure though, since
I don't know what it is supposed to be doing.

....Roy