httpd-dev mailing list archives

From tvaug...@aventail.com
Subject Re: Reverse proxy and caching - is this supposed to work?
Date Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:03:26 GMT
Graham Leggett <graham.leggett@dsn.ericsson.se> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I didn't see my own post come through the listserver, I think this
> message may have got lost somewhere, so I'll try again:
>
> ---
>
> I have been having a torrid time trying to convice Apache v1.3.6 to
> cache reverse proxy requests.
>
> I have a website configured that hides a number of NT servers behind a
> single virtual host. This is done both to eliminate website
> fragmentation, and to reduce load on the NT servers. On the first point
> Apache performs beautifully, however the cache remains stubbornly empty
> despite being configured to cache proxy requests.
>
> The first thing I would like to know is whether Apache's mod_proxy is
> actually designed to cache reverse proxy requests. I don't want to spend
> weeks trying to enable a feature that does not exist. Is it supposed to
> cache reverse proxy requests?

Yes.

> Having poked and prodded for a while, it would seem that Apache is
> trying to cache the requests, however is failing because the filename
> that Apache tries to write the file to is a NULL pointer. This triggers
> PR3178, which makes the particular child segfault.

I haven't seen this. But, since your origin servers are NT boxes, I setup
ProxyPass to point to an IIS and an Apache web server. As it turned out,
_everything_ on the NT box was an ASP. These sent 'Pragma: no-cache'
directives and were never cached. But yet the content was all
"static". Grr... And I do remember that if CacheRoot does not exist, then
bad things could happen.

> Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening, or confirm what I am
> trying to do is even possible?

This worked for me when I set it up a while back. This was v1.3.3. Haven't
tried it since. All I had to do was enable the cache directives in the
config file, and setup ProxyPass correctly, and then viola. What does your
config file look like?

-Tom

--
Tom Vaughan <tvaughan at aventail dot com>