httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Changing Windows dev platform to MSVC++ 6?
Date Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:48:17 GMT

> > In a message dated 99-04-13 16:51:00 EDT, Ken Coar writes...
>  >
>  > >  I believe so: the MSVC[56] project file formats are not compatible.
>  > >  V6 will upgrade existing V5 files, but there's no road back
>  > >  AFAIK.
>  >
>  > There's always a road back... it's called a makefile.
>  {Sigh}  I believe we long ago established one of our goals
>  as maintaining the Windows port through the project interface.
>  That's why the makefiles are *output* from the GUI, and never
>  frobbed manually.  So your road back has a 'No Entry' sign on
>  it, at least until we decide to change the rules.
>  --
>  #ken	P-)}
>  Ken Coar  <http://Web.Golux.Com/coar/>

{Heavy Sigh} I assumed you knew that, given a makefile, you
can always get a project file out of it no problem. No 'fobbing'
necessary. Plenty of utilities out there now that can take the
MS .MAK files and crank out the correct .DSW and/or .DSP files.
Same goes for Borland compilers. It's all interchangeble parts
these days. I use my own utilities to do this ( Heck... the .DSW
and .DSP are just ASC flat files... it's all laid out for you ). Even
AWK can handle the conversion(s).

I, for one, find it much more confusing ( and limiting ) to actually
get married to using any GUI project 'front-end' but that's just me.
Experience has shown that it often causes more problems than it solves.
If it's just a simple console mode program like Apache it's hard to
make a case why it should even need a 'project' file. The GUI
stuff is really meant to help with just that... GUI stuff.

Anyway... forget moving to MSVC 6. There's ANOTHER version
of MS compiler coming out soon, anyway... why not just wait
and see if that one holds any advantage for Apache.

View raw message