httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Back to the roots
Date Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:10:07 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> In article <3725AC5D.CF5E54BA@Golux.Com> you wrote:
> > All right.  I dislike shtool because
> >
> > a) it would be maintained separately from the Apache tree, unlike
> >    all of our other custom required-for-build tools
> > b) I personally disagree that limiting the number of lines
> >    displayed by 'ls' should be a goal
> > c) I personally disagree that combining N distinct and special-
> >    purpose scripts into one is generally good, much less that
> >    it is better
> > d) I dislike the acrimony this (and similar discussions) has
> >    engendered
> > e) other reasons, but the above are enough
> >
> > At the moment, I cannot think of anything about the concept of
> > shtool that I *do* like.  That's short.  I suggest we drop
> > the entire discussion as a 'never mind' idea rather than
> > encouraging the continuance of this debate.  That's
> > constructive.
> Yeahh, GREAAAT! That's it: The first constructive reply, although it gives a
> totally bad mark to shtool (but that's ok). Nevertheless that's the replies I
> like and never see: strong arguments and no rhetoric questions (so I this time
> I _DO NOT_ feel like I've to fight against something).

That is such bullshit. Ken hasn't said anything that hadn't already been
said. And if you object to rhetoric, why do you keep referring to
"optical aesthetics" and "hacking is a piece of art" and the like?

OTOH, if you are saying that you'd prefer "X is better than Y" instead
of "why do you think Y is better than X?", I suspect you have a problem:
very few English speakers would use the former construction except under
provocation; it is too aggressive. It also indicates a lack of interest
in exploring design principles, which I would say is not the way to go
when discussing code.

     - Indira Gandhi

View raw message