httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Back to the roots
Date Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:23:57 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> My main failure seems to be just that I assume that the presented solution is
> commented with _short_ and _constructive_ comments like "Fine, we like it
> because of X, Y, Z" or "Bad, we don't like X, Y, Z but it could be made better
> by doing it this and that way".  But it looks like this wish is not a
> reasonable one...

Not when you have the expectation that you'll always be able to
convince everyone.  I don't know if you have this expectation,
but it seems like it. :-)

>                   At least until now no one has given a really constructive
> statement for shtool. No one said what should be made different _and_ actually
> why. People until now mainly said that they dislike something...

Maybe that's because they think the idea is bad altogether.  If
that's the case, there's no way of 'making it different' that
will make it acceptable.

All right.  I dislike shtool because

a) it would be maintained separately from the Apache tree, unlike
   all of our other custom required-for-build tools
b) I personally disagree that limiting the number of lines
   displayed by 'ls' should be a goal
c) I personally disagree that combining N distinct and special-
   purpose scripts into one is generally good, much less that
   it is better
d) I dislike the acrimony this (and similar discussions) has
   engendered
e) other reasons, but the above are enough

At the moment, I cannot think of anything about the concept of
shtool that I *do* like.  That's short.  I suggest we drop
the entire discussion as a 'never mind' idea rather than
encouraging the continuance of this debate.  That's
constructive.
--
#ken  P-)}