httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Back to the roots (was: Re: Suggestion: shtool)
Date Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:11:47 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Well Ralf, you are wrong.  Apache exists right now because I was very aware
> of politics when the group was founded and the three times it almost blew
> apart in the first year.  The fact that you weren't involved in those
> decisions doesn't make them any less real, nor does it lessen their part
> in making Apache possible.  You would be amazed at how many seeming
> "accidents" of history were due to a great deal of planning and effort
> on the part of people working in the background, out of the spotlight,
> simply trying to keep a good thing going.  Apache is far more about the
> people involved in collaborative development than it is about the software
> produced by those people -- if that were not the case, this would be work.

Its funny you should say this: over the weekend I stayed with an old
friend, and I was explaining ASF and my vision of it to him. One of the
things I thought was most important was that we can bring to projects an
understanding of group dynamics and an approach that has been shown to
work. I feel strongly that that approach has largely come about by a
fortuitous combination of personalities and a lot of hard work on the
part of some of those personalities. And I don't mean me!

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html