httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: apache-apr
Date Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:51:16 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 09:23:52PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > > A portable method would be non-blocking listening sockets, and a pipe().
> >
> > To be portable it has to be a socketpipe. Not all OSes will select on a
> > plain pipe.
>
> bleh. Are any of these OSes that don't select/poll on a pipe also OSes
> that won't run with threads on? For the nonthreaded case, we don't
> need the pipe anyway.

Hmm, dunno. Of course there's not reason not to abstract it away, anyway
... you just have an APR "selectable pipe" and carry on...

> Oh, right, Windows is one of those platforms, isn't it?

Probably much less relevant in the Windows case, anyway, since it is
crammed with arcane rules about what operations you can do on what
handle (e.g. there's one you can wait on, but you are advised not to -
huh?).

> > > Which gets us back to the argument about how to do the accepts :)
> >
> > It does?
>
> Well, if it turns out that we need select/poll before every accept,
> we've lost an advantage of the queued model.

Ah.

Cheers,

Ben.

--