httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cgi performance in Apache-apr.
Date Sat, 17 Apr 1999 09:52:55 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> Not a problem, I've been meaning to update the list.  I am writing a
> module that creates a cgi spawning process.  Basically, when the server
> starts, I fork a new process which has a pipe to each child server.  When
> the children get a cgi request, they pipe their unique thread number
> through the pipe, and open three named pipes specified by their thread_id.
> The cgi server then forks a new process, which also opens the same three
> pipes, and waits for data from the child server.  The child packages up
> everything the cgi server will need to execute the cgi.  (filename,
> arguments, environment, variables, suExec data, etc.), and sends it to the
> cgi process.  The cgi process spilts everything out of its packaged
> state, and executes the program properly.
>
> The module was working a few weeks ago, but I never got a chance to
> optimize it, and it wasn't showing a big performance improvement, because
> I was writing data to the pipes in very small chunks, for debuggin
> purposes.  Since then, I have been doing apr work.  But, I am devoting
> today to the module, and I hope to have it working better soon.  When it
> is ready for general consumption, I'll post it to new-httpd for everybody
> to see and critique.

How is this different from the CGISOCK module thingy that has been
posted here a couple times? It sounds like they are doing the same
thing, could share code, and/or may be duplicate efforts. It might be a
good idea to examine CGISOCK as it has "been around" for a while.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/