httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: CacheSize default - is this correct?
Date Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:56:42 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> > According to the documentation, the "CacheSize" parameter specifies the
> > size of the disk cache measured in kilobytes (1024 byte units). The
> > default for the option however is 5.
> That is, AFAIK, correct.
> >
> > 5 kilobytes? Isn't this a bit small for a cache? Is this not perhaps
> > meant to be megabytes?
> No.  The default is correct.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

> Completely nonsensical?  Yes.  But still "correct".  There are certainly
> arguments for changing it, but it is only one of a number of...
> questionable things in the proxy.

Is it not possible to get this default changed?

The reason I asked was because I wasn't 100% sure if Apache treated it
as kB or MB - I didn't want to set the parameter to 2000000 (2GB) and
then find by mistake I had configured 2 terrabyes instead.

I think the proxy code has remained untouched for a while because of the
existance of dedicated forward proxies such as Squid and others which
are highly tuned for their intended purpose - forward caching.

However for reverse caching it makes more sense to deploy a webserver
with reverse caching capabilities than a proxy server with reverse
capabilities, which we discovered when we tried to convince Netscape
Proxy server to support virtual hosts, multiple websites behind a single
host, redirects and split logfiles, most of which Netscape Proxy
couldn't easily do but all of which Apache handles very nicely.

The only problem with Apache we found was with reverse proxy and
caching, however delving into the source has uncovered a bug and a
workaround, so it's fixed in the shortterm. When I find the solution
I'll post a patch...

View raw message