httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <graham.legg...@dsn.ericsson.se>
Subject Reverse proxy and caching - is this supposed to work?
Date Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:20:59 GMT
Hi all,

I didn't see my own post come through the listserver, I think this
message may have got lost somewhere, so I'll try again:

---

I have been having a torrid time trying to convice Apache v1.3.6 to
cache reverse proxy requests.

I have a website configured that hides a number of NT servers behind a
single virtual host. This is done both to eliminate website
fragmentation, and to reduce load on the NT servers. On the first point
Apache performs beautifully, however the cache remains stubbornly empty
despite being configured to cache proxy requests.

The first thing I would like to know is whether Apache's mod_proxy is
actually designed to cache reverse proxy requests. I don't want to spend
weeks trying to enable a feature that does not exist. Is it supposed to
cache reverse proxy requests?

Having poked and prodded for a while, it would seem that Apache is
trying to cache the requests, however is failing because the filename
that Apache tries to write the file to is a NULL pointer. This triggers
PR3178, which makes the particular child segfault.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening, or confirm what I am
trying to do is even possible?

Regards,
Graham