httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Changing Windows dev platform to MSVC++ 6?
Date Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:42:06 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Do we really care about a better optimized compiler on Win32 at this
> point?

Sorry, a word got lost there in my message.  It's not the operation
of the compiler that's much improved, it's the output from it.
That is, there appears to be an excellent chance that something
compiled with V6 will run measurably faster than something compiled
with V5.

If performance is one of our nags on Win32, it might be worth it.
Also, people with MSDN subscriptions have V6 by now, and anyone
who doesn't already have MSVC and buys it at this point will
almost certainly be getting V6.

So I suppose part of the question is also balancing the compatibility
of existing developers against the tools available to new ones.

I'm very fortunate in having both (V5 of my own, and V6 through my
employer), so I'm not really urgent either way.  However, after
discovering that there are a couple of migration issues going V5->V6
and no chance of going the other way, I thought I'd bring it up.
--
#ken	P-)}