httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: NSPR ping.
Date Mon, 05 Apr 1999 20:30:41 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I am +1 on giving up on NSPR now, and beginning work on APR.

+1 on APR

Apache already has most of the details somewhere in its code on how to
do portable file and network handling. Portable threads are a bit
tougher, but I'd bet we still want something highly-tuned for Apache; we
can also find some portable thread handling in things like Python's
thread*.h headers.

IMO, these kinds of libraries are a rather small proportion of your
overall time, so any "duplication" of effort is relatively
insignificant. Either they are small and tight and well-tuned to the
client of the library (Apache), or they are large and hard-to-maintain
because they try to be all things to all clients. Really: APR is not
going to be that large.

Cheers,
-g

--