httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dirk-Willem van Gulik \(kim\)" <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: IE5 intercepts 404 Error Message
Date Mon, 05 Apr 1999 14:02:39 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:41:04 GMT, adami@sco.com wrote:
>
> >I've just noticed that the new IE5 browser substitutes its own pages in place
> >of my standard 404 and 500 error messages. I spent some time developing my 404
> >page so that people who got to it stood a chance of finding information on my
> >site. I would rather people saw my page than the one Microsoft provide which
> >encourages people to use one of their annointed search engines.
>
> Just make sure the custom error page is larger in file size than 512
> bytes. IE5's "friendly HTTP error messages" function looks at the file
> size to determine what to do -- showing the actual error page or
> supplying its own. The default file size limit (on my system) is:
>
> 400: 512 bytes
> 403: 256 bytes
> 404: 512 bytes
> 405: 256 bytes
> 406: 512 bytes
> 408: 512 bytes
> 409: 512 bytes
> 410: 256 bytes
> 500: 512 bytes
> 501: 512 bytes
> 505: 512 bytes
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q218/1/55.asp

Arg. But the RFC says 'SHOULD' so there is 'nothing' too wrong. So I
guess this bit of 'cleverness' will mean that any 40x and 50x will
need to be padded to 513 bytes. So much for people who carefully
supplied short, but to the point, french, german and what
other helpfull translations.

Good thing that MS where not as clue-less as to apply the same rule
for a 'Not Modified' response.

Dw.