httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: All message to stderr??
Date Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:59:01 GMT

In article <Pine.A41.4.05.9904291402530.21402-100000@webdev7.raleigh.ibm.com> you wrote:

> I was looking through the source code, and we seem to print all of our
> messages to stderr.  The one I noticed, was the message for "Syntax OK"
> when doing a config test.  Is there a reason we are always going to stderr
> instead of stdout?

Syntax OK is a special message (not a logging message). But usually all
logging messages go to stderr because first that's the terminal and after
detachment it's the error log and logging stuff fits better to stderr than
stdout.  So stderr is reasonable IMHO. But "Syntax OK" might be a special case
where stdout would be fine, of course.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com