httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: "embeding" apache(-apr)
Date Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:00:48 GMT
On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 09:21:24AM -0700, costin@tdiinc.com wrote:
> With apache-apr, it is possible to "embed" apache inside an existing
> application ( using the 1 process, many threads model ).
>
> I tried to do that with Java - with SHARED_CORE, I was able to
> load and init libhttpd.so, and to init and configure all standard modules.

Cool!

> My wish - if you can "expose" more internal methods ( as CORE_PRIVATE for
> example, or just make them non-static). ( I have a small list of methods
> I used ).

The hybrid server is a moving target. I hope your code won't rely on
too many of the internal details of the server, because it can all
potentially change.

But first, what functions do you have in mind?

> ( another wish - the configuration of most apache modules can be
> done easily using an API instead of the current httpd.conf - except
> http_core, that read portions of the http.conf file itself instead
> of letting the http_conf "feed" it with configurations.
> Unfortunately this is a complex change, I have few hopes you want
> this kind of change)

I think this would be a great change. It would be cool to have
pluggable modules that would let us have an XML-based configuration
module, a "legacy" configration module that supports the 1.3 syntax as
much as possible, an SNMP-enabled config module that would actually
return different values back to the server on-the-fly when told to do
so, etc.

This kind of support (especially the last one) would require some
serious work, though. I need to read Harrie's post on the subject
now...

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM, Apache Development