httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Back to the roots
Date Sun, 25 Apr 1999 14:02:08 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> No, it just would be a little bit silly to have two totally similar
> packages...

Agreed. I just wanted to make sure that if people thought it would
be a good idea, that you wouldn't be upset...
> I'm at least personally 100%
> convinced that we will not survive in the long-term when we don't go back to
> the roots of coding and reducing politics...

Also agreed. My only "politics" is to try to ensure that ideal of AG
being a true group effort. Apache is, like it or not, a very public
entity. AG itself is a group of very different people, some low key,
some high key. It's important, IMO, that this is kept in mind. You'll
notice that whenever I've said anything to piss people off, it's been
with this one single cause. I also think that coding should be
primary, and A2.0 will finally allow all of us an opportunity to
do some new work rather than, as Cliff once said, simply polishing
the turd. :) But if by doing so, we get new programmers who code like
crazy, but climb over themselves saying "Look at me!" then we won't
get far at all. So the ideal that AG is a group effort and has all
the appearances of a _group_ effort must be maintained. That's why
things like public statements and being RM and things like that are
spread around.

   Jim Jagielski   |||   |||