httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Back to the roots (was: Re: Suggestion: shtool)
Date Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:35:55 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

I think that most probably I would never had brought this up except for
one thing that you suggested: That AG _use_ shtools. This, IMO, is
what blurred the line for me. The idea of an AG member packaging
src/helpers, releasing it themselves, and then AG now using this
separate external package was a bit too incestous(sp?) for my tastes.
My thinking is that AG would "use" shtools as we use the regex package,
which is clearly not _our_ code and is not (c) AG. It was my thought
that you wanted us to use shtools in the exact way, copyright and all.
Other than that, Ralf you perfectly blessed and allowed to do as
you like. One of the great things about tools is that they allow people
to build on what's been done before, and if there's a need, it should
be filed. The points about "one single script" vs "many scripts" is
personal opinion, and if it's you package, you're able to do how
you like :)

Now that the cat is out of the bag, however, what will happen if, for
example, AG decides that having src/helpers available as a seperate
package IS worthwhile and decides to do it?

No matter what, however, people have the right and indeed the obligation
to bring up sticky points. I don't care a fig if I never contributed a
single line of code (which is, of course, not the case), as a member of
AG I have the responsibility to the group and if I see something which
I think could compromise it, I have to bring it up.

I'm sure no one wants you to leave AG. I certainly don't. I brought
this up to ensure that people could discuss it, rather than people
not talking about it and maybe the seeds of contention and alienation
being planted.