httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Suggestion: shtool
Date Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:40:49 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> I must say that I'm a little bit annoyed by those discussions and they make me
> not really happy and increasemy motivation to work for the AG (or ASF)... :-(

As long as LICENSE is followed, you, or anyone else, can "do what they
like" with the code in Apache. If you want to combine the scripts in
src/helpers as an independent package, that is 100% perfectly permitted.

My concern was (1) Having Apache use this shtool package, which is
basically exactly what we're using now, except now the package sports
(c) Ralf S. Engelschall. I don't see why; (2) That it looks bad. It
gives the appearance of contributing to AG only for personal gain
and recognition. Sure, we all gain by our association with AG, but
this, IMO, blurs the ideal of AG as a group effort. (3) If the
whole idea is that such a tool is needed, why not have it as another
project under the Apache umbrella? It's tools AG uses, submitted by AG,
maintained by AG and included with Apache.

I notice that except for the postings about shtools in general, no one
else (other than Greg's posting) seems as concerned about the
appearance issue as I. It may be that no one wants to rock the boat,
that people don't want to upset you, or that they simply don't agree
with my POV. Maybe I'm too far in the other direction. Being concerned
that "the public" sees participation in AG as little more than a
noteworthy soupbox for people to promote themselves, I tend to think
we should hold back against anything that leads towards that extreme.
But that's me, not the opinion of AG I'm guessing, at least not to
the level that I react to it.

I'm sorry if my concerns and discussions make you question your involvement
in AG. Obviously, no one can force you to stay, but AG benefits from
your involvement, and the loss of any prolific coder is an impact.
Maybe I'm more a conservative "moral" rudder than I should be... Sure
seems that way. My concerns don't seem to be shared, or at least, no one
is as concerned that they feel the need to even bother to say anything,
so that should indicate that no one else has any problems with this.
So way bother with what I think? :) :) :)
   Jim Jagielski   |||   |||