httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Uwe Mager <>
Subject Re: Suggestion: shtool
Date Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:03:43 GMT
On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 11:28:58PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Hmmm... I'd no problems with libtool. And that you've to adjust your Makefiles
> is intended, of course.  The internals might be a nightmare, ok. But one
> usually can treat libtool as a black-box, no?

Huh? To edit the Makefiles and take out the libtool lines and put in
again the native commands to be able to generate a proper shared
library? That can not be the goal of such a tool. But then libtool does
not build shared libraries by default on systems where shared libraries
must be self-contained (or only have references to other shared
libraries), which is the only maintainable way to build shared library
systems in my view.

Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3