httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion: shtool
Date Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:36:34 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9904231044150.15426-100000@alive.znep.com> you wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> I completely fail to see why a single script is thought to be an
>> advantage.
>
> I guess it can be an advantage where it is being used in a more generic
> way and not tightly integrated with a package.  Then all you need on a
> system is one script that can be used by whatever packages.

Exactly, the idea is the same as for libtool: When you need libtool's
functionality you treat libtool as a black box which is maintained carefully
externally by the author for all packages. And all a package author does is to
copy the latest version over to the package from time to time. The same idea I
follow now with shtool. I'll enhance and maintain in the future and when
people need "mkdir", "install", "guessos", etc. all they do is to copy over
the latest shtool version as they do it for libtool and friends.

I've released shtool now as a stand-alone package because one finally has stop
reinventing the wheel for each package and then maintaining such scripts at
all packages locally. We did this now for years and it's a waste of time and
leads just to hundred variants of a script, each containing different
bugfixes. I want to centralize this script hacking with shtool a little bit
now...

> I'm not sure it makes much sense at this stage of the 1.3 game.

Yes, maybe for 1.3 it's not reasonable...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com