httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion: shtool
Date Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:46:52 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> I've released shtool now as a stand-alone package because one finally has stop
> reinventing the wheel for each package and then maintaining such scripts at
> all packages locally. We did this now for years and it's a waste of time and
> leads just to hundred variants of a script, each containing different
> bugfixes. I want to centralize this script hacking with shtool a little bit
> now...

I'll be honest. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the way shtool is presented.
The tools in shtools have been worked on by many people, both in and
outside of AG. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of reformating them
and then repackaging them and having (c) Ralf S. Engelschall on them.
Apache will not, and can not, continue in a volunteer basis if people
are afraid of submitting something neat, and someone changing the
indentation and releasing it as their "own" product. Yes, I know
what LICENSE says. I mean appearances, esp for those _in_ AG, are
very important. What would people say or think if, using Ben L's
analogy, I went ahead and combined all of the Apache source into
apache.c, used tabs as normal people do :), and then created my
own LICENSE that included the single-line acknowledgement of
AG, and then replacing all occurances of Apache with Jim Jagielski ?
True, this is an overblown case, but I hope the point is clear.

Even with all that, the central philosophy of UNIX and UNIX tools is
to provide specific tools for specific things. You have specific programs
designed for one function and then by combining these using pipes and
such, you can do an awful lot (I will ignore Perl for the nonce :) ).
What if someone just wants a simple function to get the UID, for example?
Why force them to download and use the entire shtool script. And if the
answer is "well, that independent script is also available in the
shtool tarchive" then why have the shtool script to begin with?

I hope people understand where I'm coming from, and I hope that
Ralf doesn't take this personally...

I will now prepare myself for the flames.