httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/apr/file_io/unix filedup.c
Date Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:27:35 GMT
On 22 Apr 1999 19:21:00 -0000, rbb@hyperreal.org wrote:

>rbb         99/04/22 12:20:59
>
>  Modified:    docs     fileio.txt
>               include  apr_file_io.h
>               apr/file_io/unix filedup.c
>  Log:
>  A new file function to allow me to specify a file descriptor to be put into
>  an apr_file.  I am still trying to figure out if this needs to be abstracted
>  more, and how to do it.  But, the function is needed for the process stuff,
>  so I am committing it now.

>  +apr_status_t apr_pushfile(apr_file_t *, int)
>  +       Push a platform specific file descriptor into the apr file type.
>  +     Arguments:
>  +       arg 1)  the file descriptor to modify.
>  +       arg 2)  The file descriptor to push.
>  +       return) APR_SUCCESS or APR_FAILURE

The problem with that is that a file descriptor's type varies by platform. In
unix it may be an int but in OS/2 it's an unsigned long and in Win32 it's a
HANDLE (which is actually a void *). I don't know about BeOS or Mac.

Maybe if you describe the problem you're trying to solve we can come up with
a suitable method.