httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Possible proxy bug in hybrid server
Date Thu, 22 Apr 1999 06:50:26 GMT
While writing a patch to get rid of multithread.[ch] from the hybrid
server, I noticed this:

proxy_util.c:836

    static APACHE_TLS struct hostent hpbuf;
    static APACHE_TLS u_long ipaddr;
    static APACHE_TLS char *charpbuf[2];

For 1.3, on Unix, APACHE_TLS is #defined to nothing. On Windows, it
uses "__declspec(thread)". I guess this was a fix to get around thread
unsafeness in the proxy on NT. But why do these need to be static at
all?

We can save the effort of abstracting out thread-local storage for
APR if we get rid of these statics.

"We can't protect the idiot." - David Vance of Glaxo Wellcome