httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:25:52 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Correct, that was the original reason why I used "id" in APACI and not the
> above if-cascade. But are you sure whoami is portable? It's a rather old
> command, yes. But there are also platforms where only "who am i" exists and no
> "whoami" when I remember correctly. So what do you suggest as the final
> solution, Jim?

On systems that have 'who am i' put not 'whoami', what's output is
their process line from 'who'. Not too useful.  True that 'who am i'
is older though, though I've not seen UNIXs out there without
'whoami' for ages. 'id' is newer than 'whoami' though. If they
lack 'whoami' I doubt that they have 'id'.

It all depends on how fancy we want to get. We could easily brew our
own 'getuid.sh' helper script, but is it just wasted cycles?
What's important is some sort of feedback to the user, so what we
have is even good enough (except does the current 'chown' use in
configure print out 2> ?)

Maybe I'll whip up a getuid.sh anyway; maybe Apache 2.0 may need it :) :)