httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 Makefile.tmpl
Date Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:48:09 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.990420111157.20007f-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>

>> In article <19990420161959.4475.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
>>
>> >   I want to be able to run "make install" as a non-root user.
>>
>> That's _not_ a final solution, of course.
>> Because users are still confused by the error messages from chown...
>
> Uh?
> Fine, put an @ in there too.

A "@" doesn't make a difference, because the error is displayed on stderr
while the @ just supressed the command line display ;-) What we need is either
an if-clause around the chown or some variables which control the stuff
and which APACI provides.  But I'll look into this...

> It's useless without that change -- you can only run "make install" as
> root.

Sure, and as a temporary bugfix it actually was ok...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com