httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: apache-apr -> (1.4|2.0)
Date Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:52:02 GMT
On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 11:19:04PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >Question I: Should the next non-point release of Apache be based on the
> >hybrid "apache-apr" prototype?
>
> Hmmm, I am confused.  There exists a pthreads version of Apache in
> apache-apr and a totally separate (and unused) APR prototype that is
> in the very beginning stages of development

This was the plan, as always, subject to change:

The current hybrid server is based on pthreads. Ryan is writing the
Unix portion of a portable runtime (called APR at the moment), and
others are writing it or will write it for other platforms, including
Windows. We soon port the hybrid Apache server to run on top of
APR.

> BTW, the pthreads version can be compiled on Solaris now (with warnings),
> but I suspect that multithread.h is bogus.  I can't be sure though, since
> I don't know what it is supposed to be doing.

Mainly, the ap_xxx_mutex calls are being used in alloc.c. We should
probably just change these to pthread calls for now, since they will
be replaced with portable runtime calls later.

'I think they're the tools of the devil... They scare me."
  -- Marilyn Manson on Hanson