httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: apache-apr
Date Fri, 16 Apr 1999 05:38:39 GMT
On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 09:23:52PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > A portable method would be non-blocking listening sockets, and a pipe().
>
> To be portable it has to be a socketpipe. Not all OSes will select on a
> plain pipe.

bleh. Are any of these OSes that don't select/poll on a pipe also OSes
that won't run with threads on? For the nonthreaded case, we don't
need the pipe anyway.

Oh, right, Windows is one of those platforms, isn't it?

> > Which gets us back to the argument about how to do the accepts :)
>
> It does?

Well, if it turns out that we need select/poll before every accept,
we've lost an advantage of the queued model.

"This letter is clearly the result of too much spinning." -- The Tick