httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: apache-apr
Date Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:22:10 GMT
On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 11:43:20AM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>
> > I think the problem is that the method we're using to kick out our
> > acceptor thread from accept() isn't working correctly. AFAIK, close()
>
> A portable method would be non-blocking listening sockets, and a pipe().
> select on the listening socket(s) and the read-half of the pipe.  Wake it
> up by writing to the pipe.

Yeah, this is the solution I've heard from other places. I'd still
like to try to salvage the ability to do an accept without select
though, if only to give the current model a fighting chance when
benchmarked against select-accept.

Oh, and pthread_cancel won't help in this case, because accept() is
not a defined cancellation point.

"You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 then just a kind word."
  -- Marcus, B5