httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/include apr_file_io.h
Date Sat, 10 Apr 1999 07:51:30 GMT
On 9 Apr 1999 14:37:05 -0000, rbb@hyperreal.org wrote:

>rbb         99/04/09 07:37:05
>
>  Modified:    apr/file_io/unix Makefile readwrite.c
>               apr/test testfile.c
>               docs     fileio.txt impl.txt
>               include  apr_file_io.h
>  Added:       apr/file_io/unix dir.c
>  Log:
>  Added support for directory commands in apr.  I also fixed a few
>  warnings in the code.  I updated the fileio.txt and impl.txt docs to
>  reflect the current state of the fileio code.  And lastly, I updated the
>  test suite to include a few more tests.

I can't say I really like what you've done for the directory API. It's way
too unix oriented in that it's an almost no-op wrapper for opendir() and
friends. Sure, it'll be fast but it's not too portable.

The way I see it there shouldn't be any platform specific stuff in
apr_file_io.h so putting stuff like:

    DIR *dirstruct;
typedef struct dirent     apr_dirent_t;

in it isn't a good idea. We need to define and use our own structures and
hide these platform specific details in the library code.