httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: apache-apr
Date Fri, 09 Apr 1999 07:40:10 GMT
On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 02:52:31PM -0700, unknown@riverstyx.net wrote:
> Well, I compiled it and got it going, had to make a couple small changes
> -- HARD_SERVER_LIMIT = 30, HARD_THREAD_LIMIT = 64.  I don't know if those
> are appropriate for a threaded Apache.

They seem reasonable. There are lots of factors that go into good
selection of these numbers, and we still need to choose good defaults.

> it didn't
> work all that great.  Right now I've got it set up with 16 threads/child,
> maxclients=14.  I'm running the non-threaded right now (1.3.6) and it's
> holding steady at 40-50 processes (sometimes spiking to 80).  When I
> switch to apache-apr, it runs fine for a while, sometimes half an hour or
> so, but eventually it seems to hang.  I connect, but don't actually manage
> to get a request through.

The joys of threaded debugging, fun fun fun! I have lots and lots of
questions.

Do you have any more details on the symptoms? Does the mod_status
display say anything interesting? Have you tried attaching a debugger
to one of the threads to see what's going on?

Is this with a "real load" or with benchmark tools?  We've been
playing with benchmark tools like WebStone and ApacheBench, so a more
realistic load may expose problems we haven't hit yet.

What versions of glibc and the kernel are you running, and with what
Linux distribution? The threading support has been stabilizing
throughout the 2.0.x glibc series.

Also, are you just pulling straight static content, or are you doing
intersting things like CGI or server-side includes? How about other
modules like mod_rewrite?

Bill and I are seeing problems with the hybrid server when run with a
low MaxRequestsPerChild. What is yours set to?

"I mean how can a punk be cyber?" - Bruce Sterling