httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] chown-ing/chgrp-ing proxycachedir.
Date Tue, 06 Apr 1999 13:54:50 GMT

In article <37091E8F.4C49BBCB@webweaving.org> you wrote:

>[...]
>> 5. Removed the "opening ..." and "server configured to run with 'guessed'
>>    user..." message because I think they confuse people because they don't
>>    understand it while installing (one need to know the background of the
>>    uid/gid switch because of the User/Group directives).
>
> But then.. a different opinion :-) I kind of put the warnings in as this
> is a place where we are either 'guessing' or, behold!, knowingly insert
> a value which we know to be wrong/not supported.
>
> In other words; there is non deterministic magic at work ! (Still linear
> magic though).
>
> Now how does that sit phylosofical/ethical ?

Yes, sounds reasonable, of course. My main concern is just that it's a little
bit inconsistent. When we give out warnings we should either do it for _all_
those guessing situations or for _none_ of them. Just doing a warning for a
single guessing situation is inconsistent IMHO and only confuses the user.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com