httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Schroeder ...@catilina.becomsys.de>
Subject Re: the Twun (progress)
Date Sun, 04 Apr 1999 18:15:15 GMT
Hello,

On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 11:58:39PM -0100, tser wrote:
> "Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> >
> > >The First test i have done seems to reveal what i thought, it _is_
> > >posible to track
> > >a user without using cookies by using the cache mechanism based on the
> > >etag.
> >
> > No it isn't.  The only thing you can track with that is the closest
> > cache that uses etags for validation of a single entity.  That could
> > be half a million users behind a single AOL proxy, and is a lame excuse
> > for cache busting.
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. If I include a
  Cache-Control: must-revalidate,max-age=0
in the response, the proxy-cache is forced to do revalidation. Which
etag will the proxy use for the revalidation? The one from its cache entry or
the one from the new request? I suspect the latter one, but maybe I've missed
something in the actual HTTP/1.1-draft. In this case it seems to me that the
trick will work.

Etags are specific to resources, so only the same resource will get that
etag back, but one can cover a set of web-sites by including a single
image reference. And this will bypass the defence walls that have been
built against cookies :( And the user won't even notice it.

Jacob