httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: NSPR (was Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/pthreads/src/main http_main.c)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:43:35 GMT
> First of all, I think portability is an absolute must.  If apache-1.3
> runs on a platform, than apache-2.0 (whatever that is) also needs to run
> on that platform.  That is one of the reasons I would rather see a
> hybrid server than a straight threaded server.  With a hybrid server, we
> can get back to a process based server by just defining the number of
> threads to be 1.  And, we can get a threaded server by defining the number
> of processes to be 1.

I don't think we should handcuff ourselves to this concept though.  It
should be reasonably portable and run on all modern operating systems.  If
someone really needs a web server for their Solaris 2.3 box, they already
have Apache-1.3 that will do the job.  If they do not wish to install a
modern (and working OS) they probably don't care that they are not using
the latest and greatest web server technology either.  I would hate to see
us ignore modern OS features that 99% of Apache users have available just
to support the 1% on ancient systems.

-Rasmus