httpd-dev mailing list archives

From John Bley <j...@acpub.duke.edu>
Subject Question: sprintf, possible buffer overflow in a version of main()?
Date Sat, 06 Mar 1999 22:07:44 GMT
If SHARED_CORE_BOOTSTRAP is defined (it's not on my system in a default
configuration), there's a version of main in http_main.c that I
don't fully understand yet.

Even so, I do see that sprintf() is called three times there, all of
which take data nearly directly from a command-line switch (after a strdup).

The default buffer to accept this argument is of length MAX_STRING_LEN
(8192) - On Solaris at least, I can easily create command-line args
longer than that.  Is there a possible buffer overflow here - should
snprintf or its ap_ variant be used instead?

Or am I just being too paranoid?  Perhaps on systems that need this
version of main, command-line args have a truncation length.

--
John Bley - jbb6@acpub.duke.edu
Duke '99 - English/Computer Science