httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: am I dreaming?
Date Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:40 GMT
> But that is exactly the point being made -- if you want compatibility
> across core changes, you need a separation layer module, but that implies
> you are willing to live with the limitations of a separation layer.
> If not, then you have to recompile every time we change a data structure
> that might impact a binary module.  So far, nobody has found the need
> for a mod_C, and even when we do it would probably be more useful as
> mod_nsapi, mod_isapi, or that cool thing you guys are working on for PHP.

Very good point.  And, for the benefit of others, the "cool thing" is a
server api abstraction layer.  We haven't gotten too far on it yet, but it
will hopefully get rolling soon.  I need to free up some time to work on
it and try to get things organized enough that others can contribute.
We have some proof-of-concept code available at http://sapi.webyes.com
The goal is to support as many web server api's as possible and also to
make it a standalone project with no real ties to the PHP project.

I wasn't thinking of this as a binary compatibility layer, but it could
obviously be used as such.

-Rasmus