httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@awe.com>
Subject Re: why reboot after win32 install?
Date Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:21:05 GMT
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Ian Kallen wrote:
> Paul,
> I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but now that I'm
> largely over my flu and back in the office  where I have a scratch machine
> to do installations on virgin machines here's what I found:
>
> On NT 4.0 server w/sp4 freshly rebooted and no other diddling with it.
> Run the IS installer, _before_ you get to the prompt to view the readme,
> you're informed that installation has finished putting everything in place
> and that we must reboot to complete the installation.  If you decline the
> reboot, it will then prompt you for the readme otherwise you just cycle
> the machine without ever getting informed of the readme.
>
> So perhaps putting the dll's in the system folder just automatically
> triggers this behavour in IS -- if it's truly unnecessary, then this
> behaviour should be suppressed.

Yes, this seems to be a windows "feature". If a system DLL is in use, the
only way it can be replaced with a later version is to stop and start
windows (it still should not be necessary to reboot: just re-initialise
windows, which I don't think windows allows unfortunately).

In the case of Apache, we install a file called MSVCRT.DLL into
\Windows\System or \WinNT\System32.

Of course it is very nasty of windows to require a reboot after the
installation of an application, but since it is common across many other
windows installations *and* windows users seem happy to accept the
situation (or at least resigned to accept it), we probably don't need to
change it.

However if we did two ways that spring to mind are: install the file into
the system/system32 directory with its version in the name (eg
MSVCRT50.DLL), OR install MSVCRT.DLL into the Apache directory. Neither
are very satisfactory. Um, or link MSVCRT statically, which is even less
acceptable.

So in summary, Apache itself does not require a reboot, but if MSVCRT in
your system directory needs to be updated, the installer will prompt for a
reboot before Apache can be used.

Paul