httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: am I dreaming?
Date Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:16:27 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> Yep... but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. So long as it's done right,

Dude, we're talking about code here.  The "dreaming" word in the subject
applies pretty heavily whenever you talk about "doing something right" :)

> I certainly think binary modules are a good thing. Not so much so people
> can ship proprietary modules but so people can ship easy-to-install
> modules. Especially on systems like NT where installing a source-only
> module requires the purchase (and installation) of a compiler.

Then they can wait the extra day after release for folks to build the new
modules.  That's what we're talking about here, a day or two -- the
changes we make are generally easy to recover at the source level (in fact
no changes except a recompile are typically required).

> This is one of the reasons I like Java. Source and binary compatibility
> are one and the same. A native Java interface to the Apache API might not
> be a bad idea, even if just for this reason. Of course, it might be a bad
> idea for other reasons :)

Stop dreaming :)

Even if we were using java and we changed the equivalent of M_INVALID it
wouldn't have changed one damn thing.  It's not a language problem at all!

Dean