httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: MM library, version 1.0b1
Date Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:53:08 GMT

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> generated for the MM library. But the decisions we've in ap_config.h are only
> related to the accept mutex and the scoreboard. And I'm not sure whether this
> really translates correctly for the MM library. And additionally the

Uh, no.  Those decisions, in many cases, are based on lots of experience
with various libraries and system configurations, and are what we've found
to be the most stable.  It doesn't matter one bit that we've only been
using them for the accept mutex and scoreboard -- those just happen to be
the only shared mem/semaphore stuff that we're currently using in the
core.

> Autoconf-approach adjusts MM also for platforms where we've still no knowledge
> on, while the static ap_config.h approach knows only a fixed set of platforms.

Yeah, so?  For those fixed set of platforms if you don't choose the
options we've got in ap_config.h you'll be wasting a whole bunch of
debugging time.  I don't care what you do for platforms we don't already
support shared mem and semaphores on.  You won't be breaking anything on
those platforms -- because they don't have this functionality yet.  But
you can't break platforms which already work.

Or maybe I'm just on crack here assuming that any shared mem/semaphore
library is going to be used to replace the @!#$ crap accept mutex and
scoreboard mess.

Dean