httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: another one for the FAQ: why not make apache faster with select?
Date Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:37:25 GMT

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Dmitry Khrustalev wrote:

> Real issue is implementation compexity vs. performance vs. extensibility,
> and it seems simpler implementation wins here. Also, the equirement for
> hooking third party libraries into event loop seems prohibitive. Probably
> one can get best performance by using event loop for main server and
> worker threads for running user-provided handlers ( and even then, one
> needs thread safe third party libraries)

Yeah I know, thread safe libraries are so common ;)  But I figure at least
if we use native threads there's a chance in hell that there are libraries
that can be reused with apache.

> , but implementation running
> thread per request seems reasonable compromise.

There's probably some fun optimizations we can look at down the road which
let us discard the thread before the request is finished -- like serving
up large static files, hand the request off to an event loop.  This is
something that has real world significance (large file downloads, slow
clients) rather than optimizing some benchmark.

Dean