httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Question: error checking: how important?
Date Wed, 10 Mar 1999 03:55:02 GMT

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, John Bley wrote:

> I'm willing to fix these, but I obviously don't want to spend the
> substantial amount of time it would take if "we" don't really care too
> much about providing this class of information to the user.
> PR#3098, for instance, complains about exactly this type of thing, but is
> listed as non-critical.
>
> If the Apache community would like me to fix most of these instances, or
> provide the rather large list of locations where these return
> values are ignored, I'd be happy to.  But I don't want to proceed with
> this kind of large-scale job without the support and advice of the community.

This is a good goal, thanks.  We may end up quibbling about some things,
we always do.

For some of the errors -- the ones which we're just going to log and take
no other action, it may be preferable to hide it underneath a macro.  That
way folks don't have to parse much, they'll see the macro and know what it
does.  Something like:

   if (unlink(foo)) {
      ap_perror(r->server, "unlink");
   }