httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Shea <s...@gtsdesign.com>
Subject Re: suexec: lstat vs stat
Date Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:14:22 GMT
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Well, how both suExec and cgiwrap work their magic is the same: a root suid
> cgi program. How suExec is different is that Apache "tells" it how
> and who to run, whereas with cgiwrap it's dependent on the system setup
> itself. Both suExec and cgiwrap have their own audiences.
> --
>    Jim Jagielski   |||   jim@jaguNET.com   |||   http://www.jaguNET.com/
>             "That's no ordinary rabbit... that's the most foul,
>             cruel and bad-tempered rodent you ever laid eyes on"

All true... but I don't want to disparage cgiwrap, rather to
change how I create a more general suexec.  I could use cgiwrap,
clearly.  In fact, by that argument, why oh why is suexec even
in existence?

The fact that the Apache folk created suexec seems to me to indicate
that cgiwrap was considered inadequate as a means to the end of having
cgi/ssi's executed by the desired user.  I'd love it if we could
drop the cgiwrap thread and move forward with how to enable me
to create a nice transparent suexec-type-thing with more
functionality than the current version, with a nice stable interface
so I don't have to rewrite a bunch of code and decipher all the
changes in Apache every three months, but which does not put
Apache into the position of somehow sanctioning my work.

How does that sound?

	Gary