httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject RE: am I dreaming?
Date Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:30:13 GMT
On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>
> > Yep... but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. So long as it's done right,
>
> Dude, we're talking about code here.  The "dreaming" word in the subject
> applies pretty heavily whenever you talk about "doing something right" :)

Oh, sorry. I thought I was agreeing with you :)

> > This is one of the reasons I like Java. Source and binary compatibility
> > are one and the same. A native Java interface to the Apache API might not
> > be a bad idea, even if just for this reason. Of course, it might be a bad
> > idea for other reasons :)
>
> Stop dreaming :)
>
> Even if we were using java and we changed the equivalent of M_INVALID it
> wouldn't have changed one damn thing.  It's not a language problem at all!

Actually, Java does get this right. If I make a reference to a static
final variable (as close as Java gets to any sort of constant - it
certainly doesn't have a preprocessor) in another class, and that value
changes, my class picks up the new value without trying.

(of course, some people might claim that the fact that Java does not have
a preprocessor or any better form of a constant than a variable that
you're not allowed to change is a language problem in and of itself.)