httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject GNU httptunnel (fwd)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:32:27 GMT
I just found this somewhat interesting.

I was joking about doing TCP/IP over SMTP a while ago (hey, it could
work although telnet would be a bitch), and this could probably be
adapted.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 16 Mar 1999 16:09:07 +0000
From: lars brinkhoff <lars@nocrew.org>
To: info-gnu@gnu.org
Subject: GNU httptunnel

httptunnel creates a virtual bidirectional data path tunnelled in HTTP
requests.  The HTTP requests can be sent via an HTTP proxy if so desired.

This can be useful for users behind restrictive firewalls.  If web
access is allowed through a HTTP proxy, it's possible to use
httptunnel and, say, telnet or PPP to connect to a computer outside
the firewall.

As of now, httptunnel is in late beta at version 1.97.  A stable version
2.0 will appear on ftp.gnu.org and mirrors RSN.  Until then, more info
can be found on
	http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html
.