httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: APR: non-blocking file I/O?
Date Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:04:49 GMT

Probably not.  This was left in the spec from back when we were thinking
of treating sockets and files as the same structure differentiated with a
flag.  This has since changed to two different structures, so we could
most likely take out the NON_BLOCKING flag.

I haven't done any work on APR recently, and I don't plan to until the
NSPR license is out, and the group can decide if we want to use NSPR or if
we want to write APR.  I don't think APR will take that long for an
initial drop, and then we can improve it after it is working.

If we decide to use APR, I'll remove the NONBLOCKING flag for regular disk
IO.

Ryan

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Brian Havard wrote:

> I've been taking a look at the APR file-io API and saw
>
> #define APR_NONBLOCK 256          /* Don't block when reading or writing */
>
> Unless you're trying to implement user-land threads, is there any need for
> non-blocking file I/O? I ask because OS/2 doesn't do it natively. Pipes and
> sockets are ok but not actual disk files.
>
> --
>  |  Brian Havard                 |  "He is not the messiah!                   |
>  |  brianh@kheldar.apana.org.au  |  He's a very naughty boy!" - Life of Brian |

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd