httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: am I dreaming?
Date Fri, 26 Mar 1999 01:24:18 GMT
>> I think Roy meant that mod_php, etc *are* such layers.

Yep.

>Well, that would be twisting the meaning rather badly.  The original
>poster had a module presumably written in C.  None of these modules would
>help him in any way.  The closest thing is mod_perl which does allow you
>to write complete Apache modules, but in Perl.
>
>mod_php has a simple and clean API that makes it easy for people to extend
>php to talk to things, but many modules need lower-level access to Apache
>than that and then even if the module was written to PHP's api chances are
>any binary incompatibility on the Apache side would still affect things.

But that is exactly the point being made -- if you want compatibility
across core changes, you need a separation layer module, but that implies
you are willing to live with the limitations of a separation layer.
If not, then you have to recompile every time we change a data structure
that might impact a binary module.  So far, nobody has found the need
for a mod_C, and even when we do it would probably be more useful as
mod_nsapi, mod_isapi, or that cool thing you guys are working on for PHP.

I'm all for somebody creating one.  What I don't want is for people to
think they can get the same functionality via a single symbol definition.

....Roy