httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: am I dreaming?
Date Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:18:29 GMT
>It seems to me that the only requirement to accomplish binary module
>compatibility, is to add a separate define MAGIC_DSO_VERSION.

We already have that.

 * MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR
 * Major API changes that could cause compatibility problems for older modules
 * such as structure size changes.  No binary compatibility is possible across
 * a change in the major version.
 *
 * MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MINOR
 * Minor API changes that do not cause binary compatibility problems.
 * Should be reset to 0 when upgrading MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR.

DSO modules are just as susceptible to binary compatibility as any
other precompiled module.

The ONLY way to provide binary compatibility across changes to the core
data structures is to prevent access to those structures and place an
intermediate translation module between the two.  In other words,
mod_cgi, mod_perl, mod_php, mod_fastcgi, ...

....Roy