httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: am I dreaming?
Date Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:15:11 GMT
>After a more diligent scanning I noticed that the
>MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR was changed because METHODS and M_INVALID
>were redefined.  Maybe these changes were important bug fixes but they
>seem to just be cosmetic to me, in which case I feel like they could
>have been deferred to a later Apache version.

They were not cosmetic.

>Is backwards compatibility of precompiled DSO modules not something
>that Apache aims to maintain?

No.  The Apache API is source-based.  To get binary backwards compatibility
you need to add a layer of indirection, like fastcgi or a servlet engine,
that would buffer third-party modules from core changes.

Given the choice between forward progress or maintaining compatibility
with old binaries, we choose forward progress.  Our releases are not
frequent enough to restrict those changes to the second version number.

....Roy