httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Module Server Project?
Date Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:47:41 GMT
Ryan Mooney wrote:
> Obviously some of the details are still fuzzy, I'd have to spend a week or
> two playing code monkey, but a lot of you guys are intimately familiar
> with the current gritty details, so I was sort of hoping for a good idea/bad
> idea initial response before spending immense amounts of time on it.

Passing control to an external module isn't the difficult part. It is
providing an interface for that module to use, which calls back into the
myriad of Apache functions. The Apache API has dozens of public
functions to use. Each function that an external module may need to use
would require remoting.

In all cases where somebody has written something to shift functionality
to another process (CGI, ILU/CORBA connectors, FastCGI, etc), the target
process had a very narrow view of information from Apache (everything is
packaged and delivered, rather than allowing callbacks).

Good luck with this, but I'd warn you that those callbacks are going to
be the stickler.

Cheers,
-g

--